[Alt-photo] Re: Stochastic screening in Gum

Matti Koskinen mjkoskin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 19:49:11 UTC 2013

On Dec 6, 2013, at 4:21 PM, Peter Friedrichsen wrote:
>> Has anyone applied a stochastic screen to gum printing? This is a half tone technique that uses dot frequency to emulate color/greyscale. The smaller the dot size, the more photographic the rendition. My UV box generates diffuse UV light so I think that may not be as effective as a more point sourced arc type UV lamp.
>>
>> Has anyone done anything like this before? I was wondering what the minimum dot size that could be realized from a contact negative?
>>
>> Peter Friedrichsen
Hi Peter,

I've done casein prints, haven't made gum prints in years, printing with
laser printer the negs. They are stochastic, also more common name I
think, is error diffusion, because the technique is alike. Now I have a
new (used) Canon LBP5360 colour laser, and the monochrome prints are
very good (I calibrated only with profile prism). I haven't tried
casein, but intaglios by heat transfer the toner on zinc plate. Really
difficult to avoid bubbles, where the toner doesn't adhere correctly,
but when it does, someone might call the prints photogravures.

If you have a good laser printer, worth trying.

best

-m