[Alt-photo] Re: Stochastic screening in Gum

Peter Friedrichsen pfriedrichsen at sympatico.ca
Mon Dec 9 00:35:17 UTC 2013

I am intrigued by all the experiments that many here have performed.
It seems that attempting to apply a dither to the negative may give
mixed results perhaps because of competition with the printers own
diffusion algorithms. A laser printer only using its own internal
diffusion pattern seems may be the best option but mine laserjet is
an amplitude modulated algorithm and I don't like the diagonal pattern.

I don't think using native inkjet's diffusion pattern on the more
advanced printers would cut it because most of these are adding
lighter greys for smoother tones. I have concerns that these lighter
dots once inverted are not going to harden the gum sufficiently in a
top down exposure process as gum printing is.

My bet would be on using a laser printer having an FM screening
pattern as was mentioned, but maximum size is limited in this
technology. If I find one to test, Ill pass on the results. The
problem is I have about 50 years worth of thinks I would like to try;
ain't going to happen!

Thanks for all of the excellent advice!

Peter Friedrichsen