[Alt-photo] Re: Stochastic screening in Gum

Ian Hooper noisy at rogers.com
Sat Dec 7 22:11:10 UTC 2013

I've tried stochastic screened negs output on an imagesetter with varied
results.

Things to consider:  too small of a dot will not 'hold' in the
highlights;  negative and paper have to be very tightly sandwiched; the
more 'point source' the light, the better; the more dense the ink (in
terms of uv blocking) the better.   Also, bear in mind that most FM
screens are geared towards offset printing, which is a very different
animal than gum. There is a lot more to high-end FM screening than a
simple dither algorithm; hybrid AM/FM screens with complex error
diffusion are required to hold the highlights and avoid ugly "wormies"
(a mottled/stippled artifact).

The JPD (just-printable dot) has to be determined by trial and error;
the paper surface, sizing, and gum qualities all be significant variables.

That all being said, it can work very well, but is definitely a quite a
few steps away from "analog gum".  YMMV :)

-Ian