[Alt-photo] Re: Lomography Resurrects the 19th Century Petzval Lens for Canon and Nikon SLRs

Bert Kuijer gemeentehuis at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 16:53:41 UTC 2013

Hi evertone,
I also think the Lomo lens isn't a real Petzval. That's why I didn't order
one.
Here are some comments I read about the Lomo lens on the forum that made me
wonder about the Lomo design:
*"Given that this is made by Zenit / KMZ, this looks an awful lot like the
Helios 85mm. The swirly bokeh esp, as well as the size and other. Looks
like they're chanigng the coating (maybe just not painting the brass?), and
removing the aperture in favour of these weird insets."*
*"I have seen this opinion in a numerous discussions. And it makes sense,
considering the fact, that Zenit resumed production of the Helios 40-2 85mm
f/1.8** lens this summer and it is available now at 500$ with Nikon and
Canon mount, as well as original M42 thread. That explains a fairly wide
for Petzval design aperture of 2.2 and all other details. Helios is a great
lens, derived from Zeiss Biotar , but it is way better corrected than
Petzval, and, in fact, is a double-gauss scheme ( Zeiss Planar etc.). If
you really want a Lomo lens, I would rather suggest buying a Helios. But,
35 mm is not the right format for Petzval anyway."*

But this new project (not Lomo) for a real Petzval type of lens does look
good to me:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1162663202/the-petzvar-f-38-120-mm-medium-format-petzval-port

I'm considering it since it is a real Petzval design and it will fit a
medium format camera. It doesn't look like an old brass lens, but I don't
mind that. It will look good on a MF camera anyway. I Might even get me a
Hasselblad or Kiev body for it (I have a Bronica SQ-B now) and make some
nice analogue negatives for alt-processes, maybe even in the Pictorialism
style...

I would like to hear what you folks think about this lens.
Thanks,
Bert from Holland