[alt-photo] Re: Small handmade book of platinum/palladium prints

Paul Viapiano viapiano at pacbell.net
Thu Feb 28 03:11:31 GMT 2013

Thanks Diana and Don. I really appreciate the feedback.

I've been interested in bookbinding crafts for a long time, but never took a
course. I have a nice how-to book here at home that I combined with internet
tutorials. I made another small practice book a few years ago and gained
some insight there.

I've always wanted to bind some actual prints and finally had the
opportunity to do so when I ran across some Weston paper in my closet.
Lighter in weight than Fabriano or Stonehenge, I figured why not try.

Don, the only theme (and I realize not perceivable to the viewer) are two
short trips I took recently. The seaside photos were taken during a morning
visit near Point Dume, Malibu and the last three are from a 2-day trip to
Palm Springs. I had my Leica with me but was experimenting with the
Hipstamatic Tintype app. It's not the first time I've made digi negs and
pt/pd prints from an iPhone image. But basically, to answer your question,
it was a personal project and originally I was making two copies, one for
myself and one as a gift, but I ended up with only thirteen prints I was
happy with and then ran out of paper. C'est la vie...maybe I'll make another
one in the future. The sequencing just felt right to me, a few images of
each trip separated by a photo of the person I was with and a self portrait.
Like I said, it was strictly a personal thing but thought I'd share it...

I'd like to do the same with images from my trip last summer, when my
daughter and I rented a cottage on the shores of Lake Erie, again with the
Hipstamatic app. See below:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3430369084018.2128637.1414100174&type=1&l=6f9e238ed0

Thanks again for letting me share...

Paul