[alt-photo] book release

Christina Anderson christinazanderson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 16:49:40 GMT 2013

Dear List,

As many of you know, I have been working on a comprehensive gum book since 2003. I finally put my money (loads of it) where my mouth is this year, and over the last 13 months wrote and finished Gum Printing and Other AMAZING Contact Printing Processes. I can officially announce it because as of this morning's FedEx delivery to the publisher it is NOW in the printing queue slated for the end of January (unless I keel over in the next two weeks and the publisher doesn't get paid). I was so worried I wouldn't complete it before some sort of tragic demise that I had a backup author in place for my hubby to send all my research to, which shows how important it is to me.

Without the list's help over fourteen years I would never have written the book. I have learned SO much from you. In fact, this book (unlike my Experimental Photography Workbook which is almost completely illustrated with student work) is only half student work and half many names you all would recognize from this list plus a few historic figures as well. 500+ images, 109 photographers. More important, there are frequent listees referenced within the text who have helped me over the years with alt knowledge. Credit given where credit is due.

To see the cover, go to:
http://christinaanderson.visualserver.com/Text_page.cfm?pID=1946

I've kept the price as low as I can, the same as EPW even though it is 72pp more and required far more research $$$ over a decade. As I've said before, birthing children or books is a labor of love, not a revenue source (especially problematic with postage and the weight of the book at 2.7lb).

It is the replacement text for Alternative Processes Condensed which is now officially retired, including all the same processes except for photopolymer gravure, but much much more (including casein). Rumor has it there will be two books coming out this year on photopolymer gravure but far be it from me to announce those authors' names until they do, and I took out that process because it requires a press.

This is a good year for alt pro; Jill Enfield's brand new alt book is coming out soon as well as a brand new revision of James' alt bible, both books which I can't wait to buy. Alt is truly alive and well in 2013! Reminds me of 1894-1910. Here's hoping more galleries will catch on to that fact.

Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com