[Alt-photo] Re: Inkjet transparencies(microporous) and pigment inks

Sandy King sanking at clemson.edu
Tue Jul 16 23:07:24 UTC 2013

Peter,

It really depends on the specific transparency material and the specific pigment ink set. Pictorico and a number of similar products produced by Mitsubishi Imaging (Arista, Inkpress) have a coating that takes the Epson Ultrachrome and K3 pigment inks well, and the coating dries fairly hard, especially with photo black ink, or with the MPS ink of Cone K7 ink sets. There is no need to seal the transparency, but I protect it by taping a thin layer of polyester over the pigment coating.

A number of other transparency materials do not dry hard in my experience. Specifically, I have had unsatisfactory results with the inexpensive Ultrafine transparency. But my negatives for pt/pd and carbon transfer need a high density range. If you require only a thin layer as for gum Ultrafine seems to work OK, though certainly the pigment inks do not dry as fast or as hard as on the Pictorico type transparency.

I don't believe there is an absolute answer to your question about which is the stronger UV blocker, pigments or dyes. Some dyes seem to block UV well, others do not. And some ink pigment ink sets block much better than others.

Sandy