[Alt-photo] Re: Video: "David Hockney: Photoshop is boring"

Diana Bloomfield dlhbloomfield at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 20:07:25 UTC 2013

I agree that Photoshop is sort of like working in the darkroom (sort of), in that if you don't know what you're doing in the old-fashioned darkroom (or have never been in one)-- then you might be equally inept when using Photoshop.  Not sure that's true, but just my thought.   But I definitely think he makes a good point that so much in the world of digital photography looks the same.  I'm not sure if Photoshop is to blame, or just a lack of imagination.  I can safely say that if I see one more large color photograph of a teenager standing in the front yard (or in the living room) of an obviously well-to-do home, looking bored and staring blankly at the camera,  I think I'll scream.  What is that obsession?  I keep seeing that over and over.  The first time I saw that-- which seems like years ago now-- it was interesting.  But I don't get why people keep doing that, and why galleries and museums keep loving it.

So, for me, maybe it's not the tools so much as just plain imitation.  But is that more prevalent today, with digital?  And I really do think that digital prints, from digital scans, do have a kind of sameness w/regard to print quality.  I can see that.

Diana