[Alt-photo] Re: Video:

Don Sweet don at sweetlegal.co.nz
Mon Mar 25 21:31:57 UTC 2013

Hockney is a genius although he meanders and shows off a bit in this video.
His criticism of photoshop (with a little "p") is that as a tool it lends
itself to conformity.  Possibly because it enables over-working of images to
the point that they lose their distictiveness.  While I was getting my
thoughts together, or perhaps instaed of doing so, I came across this lovely
collection of Picasso line drawings of birds and animals.
http://anamateursview.weebly.com/1/post/2012/06/its-the-little-things-picasso-line-drawings.html
Hockney gave, as a contrast to photoshopped pictures, a Picasso owl drawing,
which may be one of these.  The message I take from this is that it is hard
for an artist armed only with a pencil to be boring and conformist.

Don Sweet