[Alt-photo] Re: Video:

Diana Bloomfield dlhbloomfield at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 21:29:56 UTC 2013

Hey Jan!

So nice to see your name come up.  How are you?  What exciting things are you doing?

"Ugly pictures of ugly people."   Gosh.   That reminds me that I'm always saying "no" to movies that involve people I don't want to see walking down the street-- much less on the big screen (think Tommy Lee Jones or Wilford Brimley)-- ;)  I'm just not gonna see anything with Wilford Brimley in it.  Period.

Okay, so maybe people were making "boring" images back during the days of film-- I'm sure they were-- but were they so repetitive as they are now?  I just don't remember that.  Maybe since it took much longer to make a silver gelatin or color print in the old-fashioned darkroom, than it does to now crank out a digital print-- we just saw much less of it-- and there wasn't so much going on with the internet (websites, etc)-- so it was all out there (like now), but we just didn't see it.  Like Wilford Brimley is out there-- I know he is, because I see him on commercials-- but we just don't have to see him that much if we don't watch commercials.  Something like that.

Well, that makes me sound old, too.  There you have it.  I do wonder, though, if -- as someone said earlier-- maybe people simply use the same Photoshop applications, so we tend to see similarities in the print quality.  That still doesn't answer the question of why people keep taking pictures of seemingly over-priveleged teenagers who look like they don't get enough sleep.  Okay, and I may as well say it-- I think Ansel Adams was an amazing printer, but I think his work is really boring.  I know.  You can go to hell for just thinking that-- but I said it.  So there.