[Alt-photo] Re: Sulfamic Acid for Paper Acidification

Loris Medici mail at loris.medici.name
Tue May 7 13:40:50 UTC 2013

Do you include toning w/ VDB and/or Argyrotype? Since you're also doing
Pt/Pd the price for the toner would mind perhaps?

Those Pt/Pd over gold leaf are really gorgeous, I would imagine they are
great sellers - since everybody can understand / relate to that. It's
sometimes hard to explain laymen (Or should it be laypeople, for the sake
of being politically correct? - That was a Siegel-esque joke BTW...) that
the images are formed and/or toned by precious metals salts, since the
color doesn't fit to their understanding of the particular metal in
question...

Regards,
Loris.

2013/5/6 Christina Anderson <christinazanderson at gmail.com>

> Loris,
> You are right about argyrotype. Next year I am thinking of introducing
kallitype and therefore rotating those three. It might be a great precursor
to pt/pd.

> I usually teach BW calibration, then cyanotype, then VDB or argyrotype,
pt/pd and combination printing, and then gum/casein. So the semester is a
little full. Next year I am cutting BW because the class is 4 credits but
it behaves too much like 5. BUT, if Dan Burkholder is reading this: I had
bought Dan's video of pt/pd over gold leaf, thinking I'd introduce it as
just an idea, the second to last class of the semester. Sort of a "this is
what you can do in the future" class. WELL, at least five of my class tried
it and THREE did it for their final project! And then they recommended I
should introduce it during the pt/pd section of the class! Gees.So
obviously the video is inspiring!
> Chris
>
> Christina Z. Anderson
> christinaZanderson.com
>
> On May 6, 2013, at 2:14 AM, Loris Medici wrote:
>
> > Hi Christina,
> >
> > Really, Argyrotype is so nicer when you make it work. Currently, I'm
doing
> > gold-thiourea toned Argyrotypes, and the Dmax I can get (with just one
coat
> > unlike Vandyke) is equal to pop Pd (Ziatype), and the toned images have
> > quite complex and pleasing hue / split tone. BTW, I'm using Masa for
> > Argyrotypes: 0.25ml per 10 sq. in. + 1 drop 5% Tween 20 per ml of
> > sensitizer hit the nail for this paper; easy application, no bleeding,
no
> > staining, and a very strong image...
> >
> > It's nice to hear that acetic acid also worked well for you guys, could
be
> > useful when you don't have sulfamic on hands. (I happen to not like its
> > odour too...)
> >
> > Wow! Thanks for the hot water tip, that's a nice one. Noted... Thanks!
(You