[Alt-photo] Re: Editioning of Alternative process prints

Suzanne Steel creatrix3 at gmail.com
Tue May 7 19:05:33 UTC 2013

Hi Peter,

I think the answer to your question is really up to the individual artist. My reasons were 1. Hand painted emulsion brush strokes, and 2. Hand painted embellishment, which would use different colors, and different areas of where paint is applied.

I also made a decision to not make giclees at all from any of the works I set apart to sell as originals. I may make new negatives with some of the same elements used in my original compositions, for any giclees or multiple prints of any image. But it will be a new composition and a new treatment. This helps to maintain value for buyers of my originals and keeps me from having to keep track of editions. The waters do get pretty murky in this digital age where reproduction is so easy and cheap. I've done a lot of research on how other artists handle this and have concluded that the amount of effort involved in tracking editions is not worth it anymore.

But it's nevertheless a great conversation to continue, to explore the nuances and learn how different artists handle it.

Suzanne