[Alt-photo] Re: Was Sulfamic now VDB and pt/pd gold leaf

andy schmitt aschmitt at aandy.org
Sat May 11 13:08:33 UTC 2013

Several DOZEN pounds... ??
Nice.....

-----Original Message-----
From: alt-photo-process-list-bounces at lists.altphotolist.org
Jack Fulton
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2013 11:24 AM
To: alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org
Subject: [Alt-photo] Re: Was Sulfamic now VDB and pt/pd gold leaf

This is the once-familiar method of recycling the silver from fixer. Kodak
provided a 5 gallon bucket where the used fixer was poured into the
container filled with steel wool. The silver replaced the iron of the wool
and an oxide sludge remained. It was then sent to Kodak for recycling and
payment returned. I then turned to an X-Rite electrolytic cathode/anode unit
where we'd flake off the silver and send it for return as 99% silver. The
school was not then cognizant of the need for recycling waste and I paid for
the unit in order to institute eco principles.
After paying for the unit with cash from recovered silver I retain some
dozen pounds. The school ultimately hired a company to pick up the exhausted
chemistry, which is how it is all handled now.
Cheers
Jack