[Alt-photo] Re: Was Sulfamic now VDB and pt/pd gold leaf

Jack Fulton jefulton1 at comcast.net
Fri May 10 15:24:12 UTC 2013

This is the once-familiar method of recycling the silver from fixer. Kodak provided a 5 gallon bucket where the
used fixer was poured into the container filled with steel wool. The silver replaced the iron of the wool and an
oxide sludge remained. It was then sent to Kodak for recycling and payment returned. I then turned to an X-Rite
electrolytic cathode/anode unit  where we'd flake off the silver and send it for return as 99% silver. The school
was not then cognizant of the need for recycling waste and I paid for the unit in order to institute eco principles.
After paying for the unit with cash from recovered silver I retain some dozen pounds. The school ultimately hired
a company to pick up the exhausted chemistry, which is how it is all handled now.
Cheers
Jack