[Alt-photo] Re: Was Sulfamic now VDB and pt/pd gold leaf

Darryl Baird darryl at darrylbaird.com
Sun May 12 22:17:41 UTC 2013

Loris are you pouring them slowly? I seem to remember that making a
"speedy" mixture was more a problem, but it has been several years since
I've mixed these together. I recall a 1 liter beaker rapidly becoming
"full" when mixing a similar amount... perhaps I'm remembering the Drano
experiment?

I have about two gallons of spent fix on hand, so I'll be
trying the steel wool trick this summer. Might as well try some
argyrotype while I'm at it.

... love this thread.

Another note: the
Lowe's or Home Depot sulfamic acid that I have found is used as "tile
cleaner".. are there other sources at the hardware stores?

On
2013-05-11 09:18, Loris Medici wrote:

> First of all thanks for the
used fixer and steel wool info, that was
> something I didn't know...
>

> Darryl, I use a 600ml beaker for the job, I prepare around 100ml of
silver
> nitrate and 100ml sodium hydroxide (both solutions with
matching amounts of
> each compound) and pour one into the other, I
didn't notice any extra /
> significant volume increase during the
reaction. I then stir well, let the
> dry settle, decant 3-4 more times
with distilled water and put the sludge
> into the sulfamic acid
solution (using a plastic spoon) later. Pretty easy
> stuff, you just
need four extra steps: 1. silver nitrate solution, 2.
> sodium hydroxide
solution and 3. combining the two and 4. decanting /
> washing few
times.

<darryl at darrylbaird.com>

>> ... I've certainly made silver oxide
using sodium hydroxide. A note to those considering this route: use a
final container several times larger than the required silver nitrate +
sodium hydroxide chemistry since the combination is pretty volatile...
its volume expands quickly before the precipitant forms and the solution
"settles down.". ...