[Alt-photo] Re: casein and Ferrari red

Marek Matusz marekmatusz at hotmail.com
Tue May 14 04:55:18 UTC 2013

Chris, It is good to hear from you again, and welcome to the summer break from your school work. Ever since  I had some time to read your chapter on casein I wanted to comment on your pigment choice compatibility with casein. I have been using nickel azo yellow as my yellow for casein and never found any problems with it. Unlike gum printing I do not make casein stock solutions. My casein lasts for about a year and my gum stock solutions last for years (so far about 3-5 years). Since my casein solutions do not last that long I have not been making stock solutions, just mixing pigments on the fly and never had a problem say within 2-8 h of mixing.Your note got my curiosity up and I mixed some PR 254, ferrari red (DS) with my sock casein solution and it mixed just fine. It has been sitting for about an hour now with now issues. I do remember now that I did a project earlier with the use of PR254 for a spot color with no issues as well. I will keep the mix for a few days to see if I can spot any problems. I know that my casein mix is completely different from what you practice. Perhaps some of the components make the difference and even the age of the mix since I do not use it before a week or two after mixing. My current stock casein solution is about 4 moths old. WHat brad of PR254 did you use? That is definitely an interesting topic to pursue further. I will keep you updated on the  PR254 experiment   Marek