[Alt-photo] Re: Was Sulfamic Argyrotype and toning

Marek Matusz marekmatusz at hotmail.com
Tue May 14 05:15:15 UTC 2013

All, I did another batch of argyrotypes and I like the process even more. I acidified the paper with sulfamic acid. I used Fabriano artistico soft press and Rising Stonehenge. Both papers printed beautifully, although somewhat different brown (FASP) to red-brown (RS) after development. The prints are still wet, and I am not sure if the tones will stay after drying. Gold toning with gold/thiocarbamate toner produced beautiful split toning for shorter toning times and then blue-black very dark prints for very long toning.Palladium toned print produced a brown-black tone very different from untoned print, although DMAX was lower then expecte, it need s to be exposed for longer time. The most exciting was platinum toning with gradual shift towards brown and black brown tones without much split shift, but noticeable increase in DMAX from untoned print. Nice clean highlights so far.  I am using two baths of citric acid with some silver sulfamate sensitizer to neutralize chlorides in the tap water. The baths are 5g of oxalic acid/liter with a few drops of silver sulfamate in the first bath.  I made 6 prints (8x11) without changing that baths. I am so excited about this process and the sulfamic acid acidification. I will post some pictures tomorrow once the prints are dry. I also tried sulfamic acid acidification of the first bath and it bleached the print very nicely, not too fast so it can be perhaps a very good handle for bleaching prints that are too dark. The thio fixing resulted in a slight increase in DMAX and a slight tone shift toward brown. In the 5 minute toning I did not see any loss of DMAX. Marek