[Alt-photo] Re: Was Sulfamic Argyrotype and toning

Loris Medici mail at loris.medici.name
Tue May 14 07:40:59 UTC 2013

Hi Marek, I'm glad that you like the results with Argyrotype on sulfamic
acid treated FAEW/SP. Which surfactant were you using with FAEW/SP and how
much? This paper has a lot of sizing / a very hard surface, therefore IME
it needs relatively much more surfactant to give nice results w/o bleeding.
Oxalic acid development bath is interesting, AFAIK, Mike Ware recommends a
very mild citric acid solution for that job. I'll try it if I happen to
experience problems with citric acid. (OTOH, citric acid never let me down
in the last 8-9 years...)

Waiting for your images! :)
Loris

2013/5/14 Marek Matusz <marekmatusz at hotmail.com>

> All, I did another batch of argyrotypes and I like the process even more.
I acidified
> the paper with sulfamic acid. I used Fabriano artistico soft press and
Rising
> Stonehenge. Both papers printed beautifully, although somewhat different
brown
> (FASP) to red-brown (RS) after development. The prints are still wet, and
I am
> not sure if the tones will stay after drying. Gold toning with
gold/thiocarbamate
> toner produced beautiful split toning for shorter toning times and then
blue-black
> very dark prints for very long toning.Palladium toned print produced a
brown-black
> tone very different from untoned print, although DMAX was lower then
expecte,
> it need s to be exposed for longer time. The most exciting was platinum
toning
> with gradual shift towards brown and black brown tones without much split
shift,
> but noticeable increase in DMAX from untoned print. Nice clean highlights
so far.
> I am using two baths of citric acid with some silver sulfamate sensitizer
to neutralize
> chlorides in the tap water. The baths are 5g of oxalic acid/liter with a
few drops of
> silver sulfamate in the first bath.  I made 6 prints (8x11) without
changing that baths.
> I am so excited about this process and the sulfamic acid acidification. I
will post
> some pictures tomorrow once the prints are dry. I also tried sulfamic acid
> acidification of the first bath and it bleached the print very nicely,
not too fast so it
> can be perhaps a very good handle for bleaching prints that are too dark.
The thio