[Alt-photo] Re: Was Sulfamic Argyrotype and toning

Sandy King sanking at clemson.edu
Wed May 15 13:37:44 UTC 2013

Loris,

If you tone a vandyke or argyrotype print to completion with a gold thiourea toner the deepest shadows should have a distinctive bluish-black color. If the tone that remains is slightly reddish/magenta/purplish the toner has not done its job. The toner may be weak, or you might need to use more of it.

I have noticed that some of the my batches of gold thioura toner do not seem to work as effectively  as in the past and have wondered what could be the cause. It would seem that the gold chloride, distilled water and salt would remain stable, wonder if the chemical thiourea goes bad?

Sandy