[Alt-photo] Re: Katharine Thayer Exhibit in Astoria, Oregon

Charles Ryberg cryberg at comcast.net
Thu May 23 23:35:43 UTC 2013

I'm dumbfounded.  I have seen the print in Astoria and attest to its beauty.
Now we learn that she does it backwards--brushing out all of the yellow
layer that isn't supposed to be yellow. Repeat with magenta and cyan.

I remember as a kid reading my dad's copy of  ETCHERS AND ETCHING by Joseph
Pennell.  I was amazed that such intricate images could be made by anyone
who had to think backward in both direction and color.  Heck, I was the only
kid in grade school who couldn't draw a dog.  I still have the book and
still wonder at the skills.

I know I'll never be tempted to try her method, but wow, am I ever impressed
and grateful for her explanation.

Charles   Portland OR