[Alt-photo] EVANGELISM

BOB KISS bobkiss at caribsurf.com
Tue May 28 17:37:51 UTC 2013

DEAR LIST,

            Don’t worry!  This isn’t about religion (or sex or politics,
sadly!!!).  It is about the fact that the US Embassy in Barbados sponsored
two day-long demos that I taught on Cyano and Albumen.  I pushed Christopher
James’ book at both sessions stating the truth:  His book makes even the
most difficult process accessible to anyone who can follow a recipe to bake
a cake without (and this is the most important part) I say again, without,
sacrificing rigorous treatment of the chemistry for those who know, or want
to know, more!  The writing is entertaining which can keep even the most
uninitiated darkroom person’s attention focused.

            The great thing about these workshops was that, out of 10
students each, only 3 had ever actually processed film or made any print in
a darkroom!!!  They were all young “digiphotographers”.  So I had them
e-mail me image files and I made digital negs from those files using Dan
Burkholder’s templates and Inkpress film.  The results were stunning and the
students left grinning from ear to ear carrying their first hand made
prints
cyano and albumen at that!!!

            I think history is repeating itself:  The “Arts and Crafts”
movement in the late 19th & early 20th centuries in response to
industrialization and the “Back to the Earth” movement in response to all
those charming things that happened in the late 50s and 1963 to 1972.  Now
it is a reaction to everything being digital; shoot, Frotoshop, stick in the
ICC paper file and press “print”.  Many young people want to actually MAKE
something with their hands!

            So I am happy to have spread “the word” (Alt) and am very
encouraged by the reaction.  Oh, by the way, did I tell you that, due to
space limitations in the darkroom we used, the Embassy had to turn away
around 15 people per workshop!!!  Yup, thinking of repeating them and adding
more!

                                    CHEERS!

                                                BOB

 Please check my website:  <http://www.bobkiss.com/> http://www.bobkiss.com/

"Live as if you are going to die tomorrow.  Learn as if you are going to
live forever".  Mahatma Gandhi

"Earth" without "art" is just "Eh"!  (Anonymous graffiti posted on Facebook)

“Madonne e fiori, trionfo eterno di gioventù!”  from Mattinata Fiorentina by
Antonella Ruggiero

database 8385 (20130528) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 8385 (20130528) __________