[Alt-photo] Re: casein prints

Marek Matusz marekmatusz at hotmail.com
Wed May 29 01:54:08 UTC 2013

Chris,

DO you use just brush? I found that using foam roller to smooth the layer works like a charm for both gum and casein. If your layer is too thick after intial rolling you can roll the brush over some dry paper towel to take excess of the solution to get them real thin. . Just like Chris I also think that the secret is to get them thin. Flaking is the result of thick coating. The same with gum. If you get a thick coat gum it will flake, no question about it. It helps to be exact in the beginning. Make a solution of same strength, use same amount of dichromate and pour the same amount of solution for the paper size

Chris. I am so surprised by your exposure of gum. 6 minutes? I do not expose that long even with palladium like negatives and bleach development.

Marek