[Alt-photo] Re: drop count in pt/pd

Catherine Costolo mikes1mom at comcast.net
Wed Nov 6 19:24:33 UTC 2013

Loris and Christina, thanks for all the information. I am sure it will help me move forward.
Catherine Costolo

Independent Beauty Consultant with Mary Kay Cosmetics(404) 252 -2181
(404)291-2181 (cell)
Visit my website 24/7 www.marykay.com/ccostolo
Happiness is like jam.....you can't spread it around without getting a little on yourself.

On Nov 6, 2013, at 10:05 AM, Christina Anderson wrote:

> [...]
>
> I filed this in the back of my brain until Mark Nelson and I were talking one day and he brought this up that he uses a 961 mix because of the smaller drop size.
>
> It goes against the old books that always talked about putting a couple extra drops of metal in the mix for good measure, so that is also why I didn't mention it, but it really is a waste of metal, I would think.
>
> I'm not a chemist so I don't know what is happening at the chemical level with too little ferric but the same is true (or maybe it is COMPLETELY unrelated but a similar concept) when I was doing 2  20% FAC to 1 8% potassium ferricyanide in cyanotype and getting grainy results and white specks and bleeding. Since I have gone back to 1:1 those problems are solved. That was courtesy of Alberto Novo.
>
> You even use about 8 drops more solution than I do for that same coating area, if, in fact, the area was 8.5x11 (not 8x10). I would use 47 but of course that is silly because if I do a 661 it'd be 52, a 961 48.
>
> Haven't used the pipettes yet, though I have a couple, but I imagine they would be much more accurate than drop counts. I must love counting out those drops :)
> Chris
>

> Christina Z. Anderson
> http://christinaZanderson.com/
>
> On Nov 6, 2013, at 2:13 AM, Loris Medici wrote:
>
>> Hi Catherine,
>>
>> If possible, measure the amnt. of solution by milliliters using thin
>> syringes with 0.1ml resolution (using separated / dedicated syringes for
>> each solution)... The properties of each solutions differ, consequently
>> their drop sizes also differ (sometimes considerably!), therefore the drop
>> count may not be 100% reliable. (You need equal amounts of iron and noble
>> metal solution for optimum results...)
>>
>> As for coating volume; my standard is 0.025ml per sq. in., some papers need
>> a little less than that, some a little more. For 8 1/2 x 11" coating area,
>> my standard would translate to ~2.3 - 2.4ml total volume. (Which is around
>> 55-60 drops (of water!) with my cheap plastic pipettes - very close to
>> Christina's count, but only for water and solutions close to water; it's
>> not the same for 25% AFC for instance...)
>>
>> ​Regards,
>> Loris.​
>>

>> 2013/11/6 Catherine Costolo <mikes1mom at comcast.net>
>>
>>> Bob, I have not been rehumidifying my paper after coating and drying
>>> though the paper is in the room where the humidifier is on. I will try your
>>> Thanks,