[Alt-photo] drop count in pt/pd

Christina Anderson christinazanderson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 15:05:26 UTC 2013

Loris,
You are absolutely right; I had not decided to "go there" in this discussion. But when I was having all that bleeding a couple years back I was looking at my drop count and realized how much bigger the pd drops were in comparison to the ferric drops. Plus my pd solution (which I made from scratch with pd from Engelhard, now Basf I think) was really rich dark brown compared to other solutions I have looked at since that seem a bit less chocolate and more yellow. I realized that I was maybe wasting metal.

I filed this in the back of my brain until Mark Nelson and I were talking one day and he brought this up that he uses a 961 mix because of the smaller drop size.

It goes against the old books that always talked about putting a couple extra drops of metal in the mix for good measure, so that is also why I didn't mention it, but it really is a waste of metal, I would think.

I'm not a chemist so I don't know what is happening at the chemical level with too little ferric but the same is true (or maybe it is COMPLETELY unrelated but a similar concept) when I was doing 2  20% FAC to 1 8% potassium ferricyanide in cyanotype and getting grainy results and white specks and bleeding. Since I have gone back to 1:1 those problems are solved. That was courtesy of Alberto Novo.

You even use about 8 drops more solution than I do for that same coating area, if, in fact, the area was 8.5x11 (not 8x10). I would use 47 but of course that is silly because if I do a 661 it'd be 52, a 961 48.

Haven't used the pipettes yet, though I have a couple, but I imagine they would be much more accurate than drop counts. I must love counting out those drops :)
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
http://christinaZanderson.com/