[Alt-photo] Re: Alt-pro chems through Airport Checked bags

Christina Anderson christinazanderson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 15:38:24 UTC 2013

Dear Jason and list,

How completely frustrating Jason...

I remember this being a major problem a while back on this list, and I want to say it was with someone who does VDB all the time, like maybe Francis Schanberger. Hopefully that person (who solved the problem if I remember correctly) will chime in with their solution. So you are in good company.

Sandy King is also VDB practitioner extraordinaire (see unblinkingeye.com).

There was some discussion of the variability of FAC at that time, that it was not a strictly controlled substance as some others. But the interesting thing is this has cropped up off and on here as a VDB problem child.

I still remember years ago Judy S. saying that distilled water from the hardware store was different than that from the grocery store :)

Last year I was in a rush and mixed up a liter of VDB for the class lab with hot (distilled) water and used it right away while still warm. I was shocked at how great the VDBs looked when the adage is to age the solution. The VDB is still good aged (and I have also used old argyrotype solution). But I have seen sludgy stuff happen as well in the past. I can't help thinking it is not your procedure which seems you have had, and have, under control but as Loris says, some sort of contaminate or alkalinity.

Stupid question: is the bullet measurer thing glass?

Then of course you have to make sure the paper is not a factor, but if all of a sudden on the same paper things go south, then that eliminates that.

I've seen your exquisite VDB prints which makes this problem all the more intriguing. Better get B&S to send you more premixed until the culprit is determined :) And check out unblinkingeye.com and mikeware.co.uk for more insight.

Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
http://christinaZanderson.com/