[Alt-photo] Re: Alt-pro chems through Airport Checked bags

J. Jason Lazarus jason at lucidperceptions.com
Thu Nov 14 17:54:05 UTC 2013

All -

I've tried two different brands of Distilled Water - both purchased from a
grocery store and not a hardware store.  I've changed brushes as well,
just to insure there's no contamination there.

My FAC, Tartaric Acid and Silver Nitrate is all from B&S.  I'm using
Bright Green FAC.

The bullet grain scale has a brass measurement pan; I hadn't thought that
there'd be any reaction with the chemicals if the chemicals were dry - I'm
only adding the water after the chemicals are in plastic graduated
cylinders.  Both the bullet grain scale and the graduated cylinders are
things I've added on the third attempt to mix this correctly.

During the first and second attempt, I was using plastic measuring spoons,
plastic measuring cups and tsp measurements (rather than gram
measurements). The results are fairly similar between all three times.

I checked my latest solution this morning, about 12 hours since it was
mixed and it has over an inch of loosely defined whitish "stuff" at the
bottom of the bottle - kinda looks like dark dark white meringue in
consistency.  As soon as the bottle is shaken, it seems to go into
solution but, eventually, settles out again.

Jason

J. Jason Lazarus
Alaskan Photographer
Adjunct Instructor of Photography - UAF