[Alt-photo] Re: Alt-pro chems through Airport Checked bags

J. Jason Lazarus jason at lucidperceptions.com
Sat Nov 16 07:17:21 UTC 2013

The FAC is the bright green variety.  I'm unaware of what type of tartaric acid it is - it's the stuff straight from B&S.

As well, last night I mixed an old Photographer's Formulary Van Dyke Kit I had around the darkroom and took care to mix it right, just as I did with my supplies from B&S - and although it had some residue at the bottom this morning, I sloshed it around and it's been taking a very long time for anything to settle out (3-6 hours at least) - but, I decided to put 0.2 grams of Citric in it, mixed it and tried printing with it tonight - it has yet to settle anything out of the solution and the prints are gorgeous.

So... that pretty much solves it and it's got to be one of the three chems I got from B&S - so which one?  The only visible difference between the two sets of chemical supplies is that B&S's Silver Nitrate is powder while PF's is flakes.... it seems that, from the group, the consensus is that it's probably faulty FAC... anyone think it may be a problem with the silver or tartaric acid?

Jason