Silver process hazards

erobkin@uwcmail.uwc.edu
Wed Jan 3 11:09:53 CST 1996

Over the years from reading, from the internet news groups, and from
individuals I have picked up warnings about the dangers of alkaline silver
solutions. The claim is that silver fulminate or fulminating silver or some
combination of these will form and they are dangerously unstable, sensitive,
and violent explosives. Ammonia has been mentioned in this connection as an
especially bad actor.

I am not a chemist so as far as I know silver tartrate is immune to this or
my original impressions are simply wrong. In that case please accept my
apologies in advance for disturbing your peace of mind but I could not just
let this go by.

I strongly recommend that those of you with access to real chemical advice
get a local answer to this question and post it back here. In the meantime
I posted an inquiry to the rec.pyrotechnics and sci.chem groups on the
internet. The only complete reply I got is copied below.

Until someone comes up with more definitive information I suggest you wear
serious eye protection, avoid glass containers, work in tiny quantities, and
dispose of all solutions immediately after use. I do not want to ever get a
post to this group that starts with "I regret to inform you ... ."

E. Robkin
erobkin@uwcmail.uwc.edu