Re: Liquid Light

Jack Fulton (jfulton@itsa.ucsf.EDU)
Sun, 7 Jan 1996 09:53:35 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 7 Jan 1996, Sandy Vrooman wrote:

> I have been experimenting with Liquid Light and have come up with
> some problems. To process I was using Lauder's paper developer, 2
> Ilford Rapidfix baths, water, Perma wash and water wash. I put the liquid
> emulsion on Reeves BFK .I seal the back of the paper with acrylic varnish.
> All went well until I decided to print on tan rather than white Reeves
> BFK. Then I began to have severe problems with the emulsion not adhering
> to the paper.
> I called Rockland Colloid and they insisted that my problems were from
> not using Kodak fixer or that my French had made paper from a century's
> old formula must have acrylic in it. The Kodak rapid fixer with hardner
> seems to help the emulsion lifting problem, but now I have to spend
> shorter periods of time in the dark room because I get sore throats
> from the fumes. Yes the darkroom is vented.

> What can I use that is less toxic so I can continue to enjoy my hobby?
> Sandy Vrooman

Dear Sandy ..... Here are a couple of ideas. If you have problems with
Liquid Light, you might consider a new product imported by Luminos (25
Wolffe St, Yonkers, NY 10708 ph 914.965.4800 fax 914.965.0367) called
Liquid Emulsion.
Temperature used for good adhesion is important. The emulsion should be
about 110 degrees F. you could coat the surface w/ a satin polyurethane
varnish rather than the base, so the emulsion is deposited upon the
urethane rather than the paper. Since the emulsion is a water based
formula it would dissolve any water based coatings. I'd also advise
thinning the emulsion to as much as 3 parts water to one part emulsion
and doing a couple of coats allowing to dry in between. If you emulsion
lifts off, to me, it is always the preparation of the surface, not the
fixer. If you are bothered by the Kodak fumes, go back to the Ilford, or,
seriously consider purchasing a good professional filter (mine is bought
from Grainger Supply for $28 and filters ammonia) If the fix is still
bothersome, try Photographer's Formulary TF-4 Archival Rapid Fix #03-0141
which has no odor (They state it offer richer max black w/no bleaching)

I feel the idea is to be pains-taking slow. Also think of rubber gloves.
The other thing is that you should use the product, after opening, within
half a year or less. Double check the quality of your ventilation.

Jack Fulton
***The eye is the Pencil of Nurture***