Re: Historic Process Workshops

Carson Graves x4692 3NE (carson@zama.hq.ileaf.com)
Tue, 9 Jan 96 17:29:45 EST

> Tue Jan 9 16:47:12 1996
> From: Grant Romer <romer@ee.rochester.edu>
> Subject: Historic Process Workshops
>
> PRESS RELEASE
>

> GEORGE EASTMAN HOUSE
> 1996 HISTORIC PROCESS WORKSHOPS
>
> Hands on! Experience 19th Century photography in the Historic
> Process Workshops at the George Eastman House in Rochester, New
> York.

[snip]

> In May, watch Kenneth E. Nelson, Daguerreotypist, recreate the
> original photographic process. Then work with a small group to
> make a daguerreotype (paper copies of the plates will be sent to the
> participants).

I'll add a testimonial... Ken is a former student of mine and an excellent
person. I wish I could say I taught him how to make D-types, but he
really taught himself through hard work and perseverance. At least I can
say that he made his first D-type while he was in one of my classes.

Some years back (at an SPE conference I think) he showed me a wonderful
D-type he had made. It was a portrait of Beaumont Newhall and Helmut
Gernshine (sp!? - sigh) dressed in 19th century garb and sitting on a
couple of "neck brace" chairs in a period decorated room at GEH. Truly
a witty and valid contemporary use of the process.

I'm sure the workshop will be a worthwhile experience.

Carson Graves
carson@ileaf.com