Re: Rives BFK, again

Luis Nadeau (awef6t@itchy.mi.net)
Tue, 16 Jan 1996 15:50:26 -0400

>On Tue, 16 Jan 1996, Sandy Vrooman wrote:
>
>> I called Wellman paper in Los Angeles and they Faxed Rives in France.
>> There has been no change to their paper formulas in the last 200+ years.
>> All of their papers are 100% cotton rag and as such do not require
>> any buffering agents. It is only wood pulp paper that requires buffering
>> agents to reduce acidity. They have also not added any polymers to their
>> paper formulas.
>
>Well, another instance of not believing what you read comes to our
>attention. I read in at least one catalog that the Rives BFK was buffered,
>if memory serves it was Daniel Smith (possibly others). I'll check & see
>if it's still there.

I too have a bit of a problem with the statement that they haven't changed
formulas in 200+ years. Now it is true, as reported in several of my books,
that the conglomerate Arjomari-Prioux (Ar=Arches; Jo=Johannot; Ri-Rives,
etc.) was extremely reluctant to jump on the acid-free bandwagon of the 70s
(no I'm not talking about LSD;-))

They pointed to the fact that anyone make an acid-free paper that could
start rotting in less than a week. They were very unhappy with the wrong
public perception that their excellent (and expensive) papers could be
considered inferior because they were not loaded with alkaline chemicals
while crappy papers loaded with chalk could be considered archival...

This being said, market pressure is there and when the world's largest
paper customers (governments) come up with specs that have to be met,
manufacturers have to adapt. This affects everybody in the industry. The
whole picture gets a lot more complicated when you add environmental
concerns.

>Of course maybe we don't necessarily believe company info either. (Or
>maybe that river in France is full of Perrier water?) What does the pH pen
>say? Fact remains that for our cyanotype formula, Rives BFK often does not
>print well. It tends to white flecks, too.
>
>Meanwhile, an interesting point -- I've clipped an item from newspaper
>that says, "Sulfur dioxide emissions, which cause acid rain, have been
>reduced by 2.6 million tons since 1990."
>
>Could it be all that "buffering" will soon be de trop?

Just saw on The Learning Channel that the last ice age happened over a
period of ten years, so everything is possible...

Luis