Re: Contact printing frames

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Thu, 18 Jan 1996 00:12:42 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 18 Jan 1996, Keith Schreiber wrote:

> Regarding contact printing frames, Don Ginthner of Great Basin
> Photographic makes by far the best ones I've yet seen. Far superior
> to Gravity Works or Premier. They are made of walnut, beautifully
> finished with very beefy hardware and in a wide range of sizes
> including non-standard sizes. He will also make custom sizes. I
> don't have his address here today but if anyone is interested let me
> know and I'll post it later. He also has email.

Keith, you don't mention price......? But what I'm most skeptical about is
the contact. I've NEVER seen reliable contact in a contact frame greater
than 11x14, or even 8x10...... despite enough padding added to crack
the glass. How do you judge contact? I examine the numbers on the 21-step
with a loupe, and have yet to find anything in these sizes where the
numbers are as sharp and thin as with vacuum frame.... I've decided it's
OK, I'm not doing total sharp, or that's what I keep telling myself, but
it's bound to be an issue when spending big bucks for big frame.

Also, items of this sort with the "beefy hardware" and heavy construction
are not necessarily something a little old lady like I could heft... What
do they weigh, compared to, say, the Premier we know and hate...?

Meanwhile, thanks for the info. (Isn't it a drag when you keep getting
more more more questions?)

Judy