Re: Dichromate Solutions, was carbon printing/Daylight tubes

s carl king (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Thu, 18 Jan 1996 13:29:18 -0500 (EST)

> On Thu, 18 Jan 1996, s carl king wrote:
> > in fact I read somewhere and have approximately been able to verify
> > the results, that 117 units of potassium dichromate can be substituted
> > for 100 units of ammonium dichromate in the same solution to give
> > equivalent results ......
>
> What do you mean by "same solution"?

What I meant was that if a particular solution (say a carbro
sensitizer) specifies the use of ammonium dichromate, it is possible to
get the same printing characteristics by substituting 117 units pf
potassium for every 100 of ammonium. I do mean that in terms of units
of dry powder to any given amount of water. As I said, I know from
experience that this formula works fairly well but have
no idea as to exactly how precise it is.

Since I posted this message Peter sent along some information about
dichromate solutions that seems much more scientific.

"You would get equal concentrations of dichromate in solution by taking
10.00 g of sodium dichromate or
9.87 g potassium dichromate or
8.46 g of ammonium dichromate."

Although expressed differently than my 100 units of ammonium to
117 of potassium dichromate I think we are saying the same thing.

Sandy King

Sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu