Re: waterproof/removable glue

deadcat (dmorrish@beothuk.swgc.mun.ca)
Sat, 20 Jan 1996 20:12:14 -0330 (NST)

On Sun, 21 Jan 1996, Judy Seigel wrote:
> I've been trying on and off for several years to find a way of holding
> paper *rigid* for re-registering subsequent coats in gum printing. Taping
.....<snip>......
> I've thought of drymounting paper to the aluminum, then releasing by
> re-heating, though haven't tried that yet and don't know if it would
> Judy

I was told by a gallery in London while looking at some large scale
platimum prints by Irving Penn that he maintained registration for
several coatings by bonding the paper to fairly heavy guage aluminum. I
have no idea what was used, but someone else may know more about Penn's
process or the people who worked with him. The interesting thing is that I
seem to remember that the aluminum was still attached to the print and
became part of the piece (unless it was meant to be covered by an over-mat
or frame...)

Dave Morrish