Re: Help with Woodburytype process

John Malcolm (images@airtime.co.uk)
Sun, 21 Jan 96 22:50:15 GMT

David Green

It is 15 years since I last had any practical experience with Woodburytype but
I came across your message via a colleague and was pleased to hear of
another who was interested in this beautiful process, - and brave enough to
give it a try. My advice may not be relevant to your friends particular
problem but for what it's worth........

I found that *reticulation* occurred on the thick gelatine relief when I
attempted to rapidly dry the developed releif by immersing it in alcohol. (A
la mode Victorian recipes) Eventually I found that soaking in a 50%
solution of isopropanol seemed to have the desired effect. The relief could
be immersed for up to an hour without apparent harm BUT it was important to
agitate the dish constantly.

The treated relief was then dried in a constant air flow from a (cold) fan.
Reliefs were sharper after treatment than if they had been dried naturally.

As has been pointed out, Woodburytype has yet to be successfully
re-introduced although a number of workers have done significant work. That
no-one that I am aware of has been wholly successful to date really is
testimony to the tenacity of Woodbury, 130 years ago, and to the small
fortune that he managed to amass as a result of his sojourn in Batavia.