Re: Kentmere SW-ART--was Bromoil

s carl king (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Tue, 23 Jan 1996 13:18:10 -0500 (EST)

> Klaus wrote:
> >Why publishing guesses if you can ask the people who make the stuff? I just
> >called Kentmere and they assured me that their Document Art paper definitely is
> >n o t supercoated. Be careful to rely on dealer's information.
> Dear Klaus,
> If things were so easy: calling a factory and they assure you etc.etc.
> In 'The Alternative Photography Review' Volume 1 Number 3, Autumn 1995, page 6
> ,an article called 'The Bromoil Process' by Kirk Toft the following remark can
> be found:............Kentmere DocArt having no protective layer of hardened
> gelatine coated on top of the emulsion - a l t h o u g h Kentmere have
> recently hardened the emulsion slightly.

First, I am assuming that the Document Art paper Klaus is describing
is same as what I purchased as Luminos SW-ART. If not we are talking about
apples and oranges. I was very skeptical when it first came to my
attention that Luminos was distributing a non-supercoated paper. I
called Luminos and spoke to Steve White who informed me that Kentmere
had begun manufacturing SW-ART in response to Luminos inquiries about
the availability of such a paper. When I received the paper (a box
of 10 sheets of 11X14) I immediatley ran some tests with carbro to
see how it would work, the results of which I posted earlier to the
list. Based on the excellent take-off of the paper (i.e., steps on
the bromide printer are reproduced on the carbro relief at about
the same density in the highlights) and the fact that the paper easily
suffered stress and abrasion marks (often described in the old literatue
as a characteristic of non super-coated papers) I am convinced that
the SW-ART paper is not supercoated. The fact that Kentmere recently
hardened the emulsion (as reported above) should not be taken
as an implications the paper now has a layer of supercoating.

How this paper works with bromoil and carbro is another matter. I have
heard several reports that it works well with bromoil while others
report it does not. I have concluded that for carbro the paper has
a flaw that makes it almost useless in spite of the excellent take-off.
The texture of the paper is stippled and the tiny holes in the surface
present a discontinum in contact with the carbon tissue, the result
being that the carbro chemical reaction does not take place in these
areas and the final print looks speckled in the mid-tones and
highlights. It is unfortunate for carbro workers that the surface has
this texture pattern because in other respects Luminos SW-ART works
beautifully with the process.

Sandy King

Sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu