Re: Monochrome pigment tissue on polyester support

Stefan Stecher (Stefan.Stecher@htw-kempten.de)
Thu, 25 Jan 1996 09:08:25 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 25 Jan 1996, J. Wayde Allen 303-497-5871 wrote:

> I've found the gelatin doesn't stick to all kinds of
> plastic. Overhead transparency sheets coat well, but the gelatin
> separates as it dries.

Well it happened to me as well but only with heavyly pigmented emulsions.
Using large amounts of pigment caused fogging problems and poor high lights
so I reduced the amount of pigment to the absolutely minimum, necessary
to get full deep blacks. This emulsion sticks very good to the plastic
(only after weeks or when curling the tissue heavily I saw emulsions peeling
of the plastic base). High drying temperature could also cause this problem
so I use only a cold fan to dry the (pre-sensitized) in 5-8 hours.

> Did you use a clear mylar sheet or a frosted one? I was only able to
> find a piece of frosted mylar at the art store, and thought that perhaps
> the "tooth" of the frosted side would help with adhesion.

Frosted? All I m used to buy >frosted< is icecream and pizza :-))
(sorry for this joke, I know what you mean)
Well I use clear Polyester with 0.075 mm. (The trademark Mylar-D indicates
that it comes from Dow Chemical USA and is for archival work distributed
by Light Impression NY I think). For me it works well exept the problem I
described in my last mail.

Hope it helps,
Stefan Stecher