Re: Twinrocker Papers for Alt. Processes

Keith Schreiber (KEITH@ccp.arizona.edu)
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 18:41:01 -0700 (MST)

Philip Trauring writes:
> I found a paper manufacturer somewhere on the net some time ago(I don't
> have the URL handy) and sent a request for info on their papers vis-a-vis
> Gum Bichromate and other processes. Here's the response I got:
>
> >Dear Philip,
> >We make handmade watercolor paper which is surface sized with gelatine. You
> >can use our watercolor papers for gum bichromate photo printing. Call me
> >with your shipping address and I'll send you pricing on our watercolor
> >papers. We have no minimum order. There is free shipping on orders over
> >$50 and a $9 charge for orders under $50. When you order, you may request
> >white watercolor paper with any of three surfaces: rough, coldpressed
> >(smooth but toothy), or hotpressed (calendered, very smooth and burnished).
> >Papers listed as CP on our inventory can be ordered HP. We calender CP
> >papers on request. Presently, we are trying to get our princes and
> >inventory on the WEB and e-mail so next month you may be able to see all the
> >papers available at Twinrocker with descriptions on our web page.
> >
> >Sincerely,
> >
> >Kathryn Clark, owner
> >800-757-TWIN (8946)
>
> I thought some other people on the list might benfit from this info(or
> comment on Twinrocker if you've used their paper before).

I have tried a couple of the offerings from
Twinrocker for pt/pd with mixed results. Most recently I tested
the one called Sweet Cream Calligraphy (18x24" with tear-lines to
make 4 9x12" sheets). I am sorry to report that it did not perform
well at all with palladium. A D-max of only about 1.0 with poor
separation in the shadows. A couple of years ago I tried TRs White
Feather watercolor paper. It produced a beautiful rich tonal scale
(with a real negative - not a step tablet) but had lots of tiny black
dots of the kind usually caused by metal particles. I don't know for
certain that's what caused the spots but I haven't tried that paper
again. I'll see if I still have some at the studio for to try again.

As soon as I can borrow a Mac for a few hours I will enter the
densitometer data from 21-step tests on this and about 20 other
papers into Phil Davis' Plotter program and then print the results.
Anyone interested in obtaining copies of the results please contact
me directly. If anyone would like me to post the raw data to the list
so that you may draw your own curves and conclusions I will gladly
oblige.

If anyone knows Twinrockers email address or their URL please post it
to the list. There is a profile and brief history of them in the latest
catalog from Daniel Smith.

Keith
Keith Schreiber
Center for Creative Photography