Re: Twinrocker Papers for Alt. Processes

Hugh Milstein (hugh@pacificnet.net)
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 20:40:18 -0800

>Philip Trauring writes:
>> I found a paper manufacturer somewhere on the net some time ago(I don't
>> have the URL handy) and sent a request for info on their papers vis-a-vis
>> Gum Bichromate and other processes. Here's the response I got:
>>
>> >Dear Philip,
>> >We make handmade watercolor paper which is surface sized with gelatine. You
>> >can use our watercolor papers for gum bichromate photo printing. Call me
>> >with your shipping address and I'll send you pricing on our watercolor
>> >papers. We have no minimum order. There is free shipping on orders over
>> >$50 and a $9 charge for orders under $50. When you order, you may request
>> >white watercolor paper with any of three surfaces: rough, coldpressed
>> >(smooth but toothy), or hotpressed (calendered, very smooth and burnished).
>> >Papers listed as CP on our inventory can be ordered HP. We calender CP
>> >papers on request. Presently, we are trying to get our princes and
>> >inventory on the WEB and e-mail so next month you may be able to see all the
>> >papers available at Twinrocker with descriptions on our web page.
>> >
>> >Sincerely,
>> >
>> >Kathryn Clark, owner
>> >800-757-TWIN (8946)
>>
>> I thought some other people on the list might benfit from this info(or
>> comment on Twinrocker if you've used their paper before).
>>

>I have tried a couple of the offerings from
>Twinrocker for pt/pd with mixed results. Most recently I tested
>the one called Sweet Cream Calligraphy (18x24" with tear-lines to
>make 4 9x12" sheets). I am sorry to report that it did not perform
>well at all with palladium. A D-max of only about 1.0 with poor
>separation in the shadows. A couple of years ago I tried TRs White
>Feather watercolor paper. It produced a beautiful rich tonal scale
>(with a real negative - not a step tablet) but had lots of tiny black
>dots of the kind usually caused by metal particles. I don't know for
>certain that's what caused the spots but I haven't tried that paper
>again. I'll see if I still have some at the studio for to try again.
>
>As soon as I can borrow a Mac for a few hours I will enter the
>densitometer data from 21-step tests on this and about 20 other
>papers into Phil Davis' Plotter program and then print the results.
>Anyone interested in obtaining copies of the results please contact
>me directly. If anyone would like me to post the raw data to the list
>so that you may draw your own curves and conclusions I will gladly
>oblige.
>
>If anyone knows Twinrockers email address or their URL please post it
>to the list. There is a profile and brief history of them in the latest
>catalog from Daniel Smith.
>
>Keith
>Keith Schreiber
>Center for Creative Photography
>University of Arizona
>Tucson, Arizona 85721
>520-621-7968
> [...]

keith, If you can't find a mac, I'll be happy to do the plots. Just send me
your raw data and the step tablet densities. I can print out your results
and fax them to you. Let me know if I can help.

Hugh Photo Impact Hollywood