Re: Darkroom Sinks for platinum work

Keith Schreiber (KEITH@ccp.arizona.edu)
Thu, 08 Feb 1996 19:24:40 -0700 (MST)

On 9 Feb 96 Edgar Choueiri wrote:

> I am building a darkroom that will also be used a lot for
> platinum/palladium work. I am thinking of purchasing a Regal stainless
> steel darkroom sink with a backsplash and associated plumbing and water
> temperature control. Does anyone out there have any experience with Regal
> sinks or any advice to give (maybe even a sink to sell: I am looking for at
> least an 8' by 24'' sink with a stand). What about the compatibility of
> stainless steel with Platinum process chemistry?

You might consider building a sink of plywood coated with a layer of
epoxy or polyester resin, especially if the standard sizes of
manufactured sinks to do meet your needs. I have built several of
these for myself and a few friends. They have been extremely durable
and require little maintenance. One warning though - no not dump ice
into it. I learned this the hard way. As for compatability of pt/pd
chemistry with stainless steel, I seem to recall reading somewhere
that ferric oxalate should not be mixed in stainless steel containers.
I could easily be mistaken and it could be one of those
unsustantiated myths passed along through the years. At any rate I
have always used glass or plastic labware.
Best wishes,
Keith
Keith Schreiber
Rights and Reproductions