Re: paper test data for palladium

Keith Schreiber (KEITH@ccp.arizona.edu)
Thu, 08 Feb 1996 20:53:25 -0700 (MST)

On 8 Feb 96 Terry King wrote:

> Keith
>
> I am grateful for your constructive reply.
>
> I find that sizing the paper increases perceived contrast and gradation. Use of
> a deionised size appears to avoid problems of adverse reactions between gelatine
> and platinum.

Double coating seems to have a similar effect

> I am very chary of reflection densitomiter readings in relation to hand coated
> papers as subjective reactions differ markedly from from those of the
> instrument.

I couldn't agree more and will soon be addressing that issue on list
now that I have sent out all this data. I wish that I could send the
actual 21-step prints with the data to illustrate the point.

> I have a standard procedure where palladium is included in a coating, ( cf the
> work of Mike Ware), which is that after the coating has been dried I place the
> paper in the dark in association with a tray of warm water. This ensures that
> the palladium prints black and not brown. Warmth of tone varies with the degree
> of humidification. or ' humiliation' as students insist.

Last spring after a particularly dry period here in the desert I
finally made the connection between ambient humidity and the grain
problems that I had been experiencing. I began using a room
humidifier in the darkroom which helped a great deal. I also stopped
using potassium chlorate. Instead I began using hydrogen peroxide
which works well to a point. Currently I am using sodium dichromate
added to the potassium oxalate developer in miniscule amounts. This
method allows a wide range of contrast control - much more than I
need - and has the added benefit of allowing many sheets to be coated
in advance since contrast is controlled in development.

> As to graininess, working with good cotton rag papers should ensure that it only
> arises from overheating the paper after coating and the use of potassium
> chlorate. I find this so offensive that I vary my contrast by using different
> proportions of platinum and palladium in the mix. I have found consistency of PH
> in the papers I use for platinum/palladium from Fabriano and GP inveresk,
> Artistico and Waterford.

I hadn't considered overheating as a possible culprit but its worth
checking out. As for varying pt:pd ratio, I find that for my taste
even a small amount of platinum cools the image color more than I
like. This is the underlying reason for why I now use palladium
almost exclusively. I'll soon be adding step tests for Fabriano
Artistico, Classico, Tiepolo, and Murillo, and Saunders Waterford.
I've never heard of GP inveresk.

> Now I have to work out which buttons to push to download your file.
>
> Did you see my note on papers on 5 February, or have I managed to lose it in the
> system?

I think it must have gotten lost in cyberspace. I don't remember
reading it and its not in my "paper" folder. Would you mind posting
it again. I think this discussion might be of interest to others on
the list so I'm going to CC it to the list.

Keith
Keith Schreiber
Rights and Reproductions
Center for Creative Photography