Re: Darkroom Sinks for platinum work

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sat, 10 Feb 1996 18:52:26 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 11 Feb 1996, Jack Fulton wrote:

> Oh yes, judy mentioned the drain....I bought a 'flat' PVC one in a
> hardware store. They are often used for hot tubs of pool areas. I think
> it has a 2" drain size. I also paint the whole drain area w/the
> Recorcinol glue so it also will not get any water into the plywood. My
> feeling now that I've built my flat sink, is that I'd like to have the
> drain recessed. I have a small pool of water that sort of just sits there.

A thoughtful friend points out that I meant PVC for the drain, not PVA (I
knew that didn't sound right -- I also could use someone to watch where I put
my keys and remind me that I left the phone off the hook, OK?)

But Jack's point about the pool of water reminds me to note that in my
experience to get the water to go down *at all* requires a much larger
tilt to the sink than might be expected, bigger in fact than I find
entirely comfortable (and there's still a pool -- you just have to
remember that it won't kill you).

However, here's a suggestion: Take a LARGE funnel, the kind you could use
to steal gasoline from parked cars, and cut off the botton part of the
spout until you get to where it's a bit smaller than the inside diameter
of the drain. Keep this handy and when you want to pour something nasty
down the sink, something you REALLY don't want sloshing around your trays,
stick the funnel into the drain hole and pour into that. (But be sure the
bowl is really large, or it won't hold enough at one time.)

Meanwhile, for operations that require liquid to be level (such as my
&*%$(*@@+x!!* horizontal print washer), shim up the down side.

Judy