FTP Image Archive -Re: Digital images online

Gordon J. Holtslander (holtslander@sask.usask.ca)
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 09:30:48 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 13 Feb 1996 SCHRAMMR@wlsvax.wvnet.edu wrote:

> I wish we could see
> more work by members of this list. Maybe someday the list can have a
> home page showing work by members.
>
> Bob Schramm

Steve Avery set up an FTP (file transfer protocal) site for images, on the
computer that handles this mailing list when the mailing list was created
a few years ago.

This FTP site still exists and is available for any one to display their
alternative process images. At this point in time there is only one
image at the site. (one of my cyanotypes)

For those unfamiliar with FTP- it is a way of transfering files fron one
computer to another. Graphical World Wide Web browsers like Netscape and
Mosaic can access FTP sites and display the contents of these files
directly on the moniter.

The gist of this is that you can view the images at this site right from
your computer if you use something like Netscape.

I have set up a link in the WWW alternative photographic process faq
that will take you to the archive. The address of the FAQ is

/~holtsg/photo/faq.html

I have called this location the FTP Image Archive. Once in the FAQ
select "FTP Image Archive" in the table of contents. This will bring you
to the image archive portion of the FAQ. Use the link "FTP Image Archive"
to get to the FTP site itself.

The address of the site is ftp.vast.unsw.edu.au - if you are using link
in the FAQ you don't need to know this.

As I said earlier anyone can submit their images to this site. The
images must first be digitized (usually with a scanner). Details on
submitting images to the archive are in the FAQ.

I should note that an image file put in the archive is made available for
anyone to copy. I do not think people will begin to steel your images
from this site. The resolution and image quality of digital images can
be set (~120 dpi)so that the image looks good on a computer moniter, but
will be quite poor if printed out on paper. If people are still
concerned about theft of their images - it is possible to
digitally superimpose a "watermark" on the image - this making it
impossible to use the image for any other purpose.

A text file can/will accompany each image file where details of the
process and other information the artist deems relevant, such as your
email address or another site with images. I can't help
but mention that I sold a copy of the image I have in the archive because
someone saw it there.

I realize that looking at digitized replica's of an original images is a
poor substitute for the real thing, but I think it is still a worthwhile
endevour.

I strongly encourage people to submit some of their images to this archive.
We have the opportunity of establishing this site as "the" place to begin
viewing alternative process images online.

If anyone would like more information, or help please feel free to
contact me directly.

Gordon J. Holtslander 112 Science Place
HOLTSLANDER@SKYFOX.USASK.CA Department of Biology
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan