Re: Books on cyanotype/Copyrights?

Pete Bergstrom (bergstro@src.honeywell.com)
Tue, 13 Feb 96 12:36:58 CST

> At several schools i've attended in the Western US(A), it is still routine
> for teachers to assemble "readers" from any sources, then SELL them through
> the local (chain) copy shop (required reading). It's gotta be illegal cuz
> K***** makes profit. Some teachers do obtain legal permission (i was asked
> for permission to include a paper i'd written- considered it a compliment).

We're getting a bit off the list charter now, but I feel this needs
addressing.

Kinko's lost quite a substantial copyright-infringement lawsuit a few years
back and as a result has significantly increased the checks on illegal
duplication of copyrighted material (although this generally applies to
work that Kinko's employees do directly).

When I've gotten packets of material for class from Kinko's in the last 4-5
years, Kinko's has collected royalties for each piece of copyrighted work
in addition to the copying fees. From talking with professors, they have to
provide the copy shop a written authorization from the copyright holder to
keep the royalties from being collected.

While I've not been on the authorship end, I generally expect that, having
paid the royalty, I'm entitled to that particular copy of the material.

Pete