Re: Books on cyanotype/Copyrights?

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Wed, 14 Feb 1996 02:25:40 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 14 Feb 1996, Pete Bergstrom wrote:
> Kinko's lost quite a substantial copyright-infringement lawsuit a few years
> back and as a result has significantly increased the checks on illegal
> duplication of copyrighted material (although this generally applies to
> work that Kinko's employees do directly).

My smallpress publisher got a call a while back from a campus copy center
asking if it was OK to copy 20 sets of a chapter from "Mutiny." She said
no, but that she'd give a bargain group price for 20 copies of
the book. Never heard another word. We always assumed the teacher had one
or two copies made directly from the book, then took them somewhere else for
the desired 20 sets.

> When I've gotten packets of material for class from Kinko's in the last 4-5
> years, Kinko's has collected royalties for each piece of copyrighted work
> in addition to the copying fees. From talking with professors, they have to
> provide the copy shop a written authorization from the copyright holder to
> keep the royalties from being collected.

We know that various material from the book has been circulated for
classroom use and we have certainly never gotten a royalty. Fact is, most
school offices have their own copy machines these days, don't need to go
to Kinko.

Judy