Re: gumoil?? archival

Steve Avery ((no email))
Fri, 01 Mar 1996 02:09:38 +1100

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 13:10:49 -0500
From: Rustart@aol.com
To: alt-photo-process@vast.unsw.edu.au
Subject: Re: gumoil?? archival

Hi Judy
I am not a conservator but I have been making intaglio prints and monoprints
since the early seventies. The issue of permanence of oil paint on paper is
ambiguous. The culprit that destroys paper fiber is linseed oil. This is the
binder for oil paints and etching inks. As you probably know, etching inks
are printed directly on paper. For example, Rembrandts etchings and Degas
monoprints are still around and seem to be in good shape. I suspect that
paper is damaged when pigment is combined with an excessive amount of linseed
oil which is also mixed with turps and/or paint thinner. This concoction
allows the mixture to penetrate into the paper. I am not familiar with
gumoil, but if small amounts of linseed oil are involved in the process, I
would think the paper would not be affected by the oil paint.

------- End of Forwarded Message