Re: Mold on prints....Ahhhhhh!!! help....

Cynthia & Lincoln Turner (clturner@sirius.com)
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 10:07:26 +0000

Promethius wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I like in SF and have run into a problem. A few collectors
> prints (Joel-Peter Witkin) have become wet and have molded. In your opinion
> what would be the best method to fix the fiber based paper? The prints have
> a variety of toners applied and I am worried about the subtle tones
> running. Will the effect lessen with a water bath? How about chemical
> treatments? Eeeek! this is not good.
>
> Is there anything to watchout for in my repair attempts?
> Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Robin H Dial II
>
> Myriad Splendor & Esoteric Assimilation
> http://www.sirius.com/~aether

Robin,

To be safe I would contact a paper conservator. If you don't know one
you could call Robert Johnson the print curator at the Achenbach
Foundation for Graphic Arts 415-750-3679, or try Douglas Nickel, the
associate curator of photography at S.F. MOMA. A good conservator can
work miracles. You might try MOMA first, I don't think Johnson likes
Witkin to much. Good luck, I hope you are able to fix them whatever
method you choose.

Lincoln turner