Re: washing sheet film

Jack Fulton (jfulton@itsa.ucsf.EDU)
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 07:48:57 -0800 (PST)

Judy .... maybe this'll work .... but, as for every thing in our field,
it requires testing ... I wonder, do people actually make art if they are
primarily into testing?
Ilford, for 35mm has some 1/2 way recent info. Use fix twice as strong as
usual for film. Fix normally a la twice clearing time. Of course, it is
fresh. Then they say to rinse the tank. Then fill up and agitate 5 times.
Dump. Fill and agitate ten times. Dump. Fill and agitate 20 times. Voila!
Film is archivally washed. I am filled with fear so I further put in a
wash aid and fill and agitate again twenty times and dump and fill and
agitate again twenty times w/water. Dump. Fil w/photoflo. Maybe if you
applied that practice to a sheet film tank where the sheets are in some
slots it'd work.

Best
Jack FultonOn Tue, 12 Mar 1996, Judy Seigel wrote:

> Hello again all,
>
> It occurs to me that someone may have a better solution for washing sheet
> film than I do (actually, that would be easy). I suppose it could go in a
> printwasher, but the wet time would be too long.
>
> The problem is that light film rises to the top of the tray in
> one-at-a-time tray wash and unless you poke it down every minute dries on
> top. Even a cascade of water from a long pipe with holes has to be
> re-aimed every minute or so. Most difficult is the N31P 30 by 40 cm --
> does not stay under. I'm contemplating steps, but before going whole hog,
> thought I'd ask....
>
> Judy

***The eye is the Pencil of Nurture***