Reading Archives < was Re: gum printing problems!>

Greg Schmitz (gws1@columbia.edu)
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 01:49:49 -0500 (EST)

Risa (and other frustrated archive readers):

I use the archives all the time. I use an "offline news/mail reader"
(software that runs on my DOS machine at home) to read the archive files
which I keep on my fixed drive. After trimming out all the headers from
the archives, using a wordprocesser to search for the "CUT HERE" lines, I
save the parts of the archive as a single file (by the month). Using my
offline reader I can then search through the archives for key words in
individual msgs and then call those messages forth for reading. The
program I use can also group the msgs by subject line (like "gum
problems") or by sender. Very handy. The program that I use was written
for DOS and is called READMAIL (it used to be freeware-now it's
shareware). I'm sure similar programs are available for MACS, UNIX, etal.
following is some info I found for READMAIL (took about 15 seconds) by
doing a WEB search (used LYCOS search services):

Info from-

http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/infosys/newsreaders/dos/offline/readmail/

INDEX OF /INFOSYS/NEWSREADERS/DOS/OFFLINE/READMAIL

Name Last modified Size Description

[DIR] Parent Directory 07-Sep-95 07:32 -
[TXT] ghindex.html 17-Mar-96 08:18 1K
[ ] rm50b73.zip 20-Oct-94 00:00 152K