Re: Who put the Glaze on Weston's Pepper?

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 00:53:59 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 21 Mar 1996, robert hudyma wrote:

> Someone else suggested that unwashed silver halides could cause this effect.
> This could well be the case. From what I understand E. Weston was not always

But if it was unwashed silver halides, why would it appear primarily in
the black area, where presumably the least silver halide would remain?
And some of them, like the one I have on the wall right here, have an edge
effect -- not just a big patch that remains black on the man's shoulder,
while the rest of his suit has been deeply silvered, but an outline, akin
to a Mackie line, between the silvered (formerly black) areas and the
light background.

This outline, BTW, looks to be close to the original black, suggesting
what? Some relation to the mackie line phenomenon perhaps, which
according to an article in a British Scientific publication of the 30s,
was found to be due to a combination of Sabattier reversal and halation.
(And not NOT *NOT* "bromide drag" as was and still is claimed in book
after book, though anyone who has looked at bromide drag knows it's
irregular and nowhere near as smooth and supple as a mackie line. Guess I
digress, but the mackie line is dear to my heart & I hate to see it
misunderstood, so take the opportunity to share this piece of *important*
information with a wide and elite audience.)

Does Kodak (excuse the expression) have anything to say about the
silvering out?

Judy